Tales of a Wookie Wife: Fueled by caffeine and good intentions. Feed hairy man. Clean house. Be fabulous. Repeat. You can learn more about me here.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Garlic Salt Chicken

I usually cook with very, very little salt.  Though almost all my recipes call for sea salt, I use MAYBE 1/2 tsp, even in larger recipes.  I'm more of a "just sprinkle a tad in so I can say I did" rather than "let us embalm ourselves alive!" kind of girl.  That being said, this recipe was on a whim and pretty far out of my comfort zone, but its good to step outside your comfort zone once in a while, or at least it was in this instance!


I actually made this chicken two nights in a row.  The first night, I only made one piece to add to our fettuccine alfredo.  It came out of the oven, and after it had cooled a bit I was shredding it and popped a piece into my mouth (like ya do) and was stricken with delicious.  I gave the Wookie a piece to try and it was unanimous that we were having it again the next night with sides so we could revel in its awesomemess.


This, shockingly, is the only thing I used.  I'd have chosen an option made with sea salt if I'd had it, but this was all I had on hand and I didn't feel like mincing fresh garlic and mixing it with sea salt.  I had figured, since I was putting it into pasta, that I'd keep it simple.

Simple can be good.

Simple can be very, very good.


Pull open the skin of the chicken and pour some seasoning in.  Not just a little bit.  Salt that shit like you're preserving it in medieval times.


Push the skin back down and arrange (or cram, if you're using a tiny dish) it in a baking dish with about 1/4 cup of water at the bottom.  Some of the garlic salt will escape and get outside the skin.  no biggie.

Cook on 350 for an hour and...



NOM!  It doesn't show in the picture well, but the garlic salt causes the skin to get all hard and crispy.  When you peel the skin off, the chicken inside is moist and garlicky and salty and...and now I'm hungry.

<3

WW

3 comments:

  1. wait...thats it?? Its simple AND tasty?? SCORE!! lol. and I swear, I adore your commentary. Phrases like "let us embalm ourselves alive!" and " Salt that shit like you're preserving it in medieval times." need to be in every recipe due to adding to the epicness factor teehee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The really sad part, is "I'm salting this shit like its medieval times up in this bitch" actually came out of my mouth while I was cooking it...

      Delete
    2. Which just makes you that more awesome

      Delete