Tales of a Wookie Wife: Fueled by caffeine and good intentions. Feed hairy man. Clean house. Be fabulous. Repeat. You can learn more about me here.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

DIY Hot Glue Gun Plate

This idea stems from my life-long goal to make all the things cute.  Even the useful ones.  I'd seen lots of things bumbling around on the interwebz about baking sharpies onto coffee cups and such and it being washable, safe, etc.  I decided to use this tactic to attack the plain white salad plate I use for a hot glue gun rest.


Here's the salad plate...And my markers.  Some are Sharpies, but some I got from dollar stores so they are just labeled "permanent marker" although some of the slicker dollar store brands I have in this photo are labeled "Shoupie".  Oh yeah.  Be sure to clean the plate well so there isn't any glue or paint drips left on it as they will turn black in the oven, but you'll get to see that later.


First, I just started drawing on what I decided I wanted on the plate.


Then, I kept adding things until I liked the way it looked.  It isn't fancy, but I can't draw well at all, so this is what I ended up with.


Finally, I scribbled a stripey, colorful border, then it was into the oven for 30 minutes at 400 degrees...because I couldn't remember what the actual time/temperature was from any of the stuff I'd read and was far too lazy to be bothered to look it up.


The actual Sharpies didn't fade much at all, as you can see, but the off brand ones faded quite badly.  Its okay, though, it is still very cute and a big improvement on the plain white plate.  The dark spots are where there was super glue drips and things I couldn't get off of the plate and they turned black in the oven.  >.<

<3 WookieWifey

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, "RIP Fingerprints" is perfect for a hot glue gun rest. So creative and clever. I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete