Tales of a Wookie Wife: Fueled by caffeine and good intentions. Feed hairy man. Clean house. Be fabulous. Repeat. You can learn more about me here.

Monday, January 7, 2013

Makeup Box Re-Vamp

One of my more recent thrift store finds was this box:


A nice, flat box good for stashing craft goodies for only a dollar.  Problem?


Its FUGLY!  (But I can totally fix that.)


I used this Tulip soft fabric paint in black.  I've now officially lost count of the amount of projects I've gotten out of this one tube.  It cost about $4, so it is completely worth it and I will be buying more in the future.


The first thing I did was started putting the paint on the furry part.  I was going to do the fuzzy part black and the rest in a different color, at first, then realized I didn't have any other paint and nail polish wasn't going to cut it on something this size.


I used a q-tip with the paint and sort of pressed and rubbed it into the faux fur so it covered well.  It took me 2-3 coats to get it completely black.  Once that was dry and I was happy with it, I painted the rest black with a makeup sponge since my craft stash sucks right now and I seem to not have any brushes, but I neglected to take a picture of that step.

Note:  The fabric paint doesn't usually harden fabric much at all, but did harden the faux fur so it isn't all soft now, but honestly, it wasn't all that appealing to begin with, so I'm not so heart-broken over that.


Since everything needs embellishment and/or glitter, I used glitter glue to start drawing on little designs.


 Then I added some flowers to the swirls...


Here's what it looks like dry.


Here's the close-up.  I ended up putting a clear glitter nail polish coat over the top part with the swirls only because this is dollar store glitter glue, so it sheds when it dries and I wanted to stop the glitter-shedding as much as possible as there is already so much glitter all over the house from my projects.  Oops.

Didn't add a picture with the clear/holo glitter coat as it didn't show up in photos and looked the same.  >.<  I opted not to paint the inside, either, since it will be closed 90% of its life.

That's it!  Now its ready to be used and it is now my new marker case.

<3 WW

No comments:

Post a Comment